Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A brief health self-evaluation

Out of curiosity and partially inspired by boredom, I tabulated everything I ate and drank today and calculated my Percent Daily Values:

Calories -- 1630
Calories from fat -- 362
Total fat -- 47g (72%)
Saturated fat -- 12g (60%)
Cholesterol -- 160mg (53%)
Sodium -- 3058mg (127%)
Total carbohydrates -- 222g (74%)
Dietary fiber -- 18g (72%)
Sugars -- 92.5g
Protein -- 79g (158%)

Vitamin A -- 162%
Vitamin C -- 67%
Calcium -- 55%
Iron -- 59%
Folic acid -- 44%
Thiamin -- 34%
Riboflavin -- 8%
Vitamin B6 -- 26%
Potassium -- 46%
Phosphorus -- 5%
Magnesium -- 11%
Zinc -- 2%
Copper -- 8%
Niacin -- 26%
Vitamin E -- 5%
Vitamin D -- 25%

I had 2 servings of fruit, 2 servings of vegetables, 4 servings of grains, 3 servings of dairy, and 3 servings from the meat group. Not completely horrible, I guess.

Man, that tiny amount of soy sauce I had at dinner really raised sodium through the roof (by 38%!) Hmm, seems like I'm super low on zinc and vitamin E, and no vitamin K whatsoever? (Does it go by a different name here?) Well, at least I'm doing better on fiber and protein than I was imagining. And I lift weights, so I could use the extra protein. I also eat less than 2,000 calories a day, so some of these values aren't quite so bad.

Still, could use some help in the vitamins and minerals department. I remember taking Flintstones vitamins as a child, but I'm balking a bit at the thought of taking a multivitamin nowadays just because it seems like I'm not hopelessly deficient in EVERYTHING. And don't really want to overdo it by just taking something blindly. Supposedly, most vitamins will get flushed out fine if you get them in excess, but some don't, like Vitamin A. Maybe I should just take zinc and other specific supplements. EFAs are also supposedly pretty good to take. Well, according to somebody out there, I guess...

How did they figure out these numbers, anyhow?

Does anybody pay attention to what's in their multivitamins? Does anybody compare that to what they actually need?

No comments: