Thursday, July 10, 2008

Two completely different voices

So has anyone else noticed a huge discrepancy between the way they write and the way they speak? I know a good number of people who write exactly as if they were talking, and some who write slightly more formally. I, on the other hand, am pretty sure that I would never speak the way I write at all. (Okay, well, maybe a little bit.) I think some difference is natural, but in my case it seems like I don't even know how to speak English when I'm having a conversation with someone in person. On the other hand, I feel like I have a pretty decent grasp of the language on paper (computer screen, whatever). My punctuation isn't always great, but I know some good vocabulary and I can express myself decently. But talking? Forget it. I'm about as inarticulate as they come.

Maybe that's partly why I'm writing in this thing. Sometimes I feel like I don't even understand my own thoughts because they just come out so jumbled. It takes writing the words down to hear what I'm trying to think! It's even more of a nightmare to try to talk to someone else while I'm trying to decide what I'm thinking and what I'm trying to say.

I'm a letter writer. At least, I used to be. Nowadays email has pretty much taken over and turned me into an email writer, but I still like to write old-fashioned letters on lined paper ever now and then.

Wait, let me clarify... I'm not a letter/email writer in the sense that I'm good at keeping in touch with people. Man, I am not good at that at all. It's slightly pathetic. What I mean is that when I really want to say something to somebody and have them understand it, I write them a letter. Or an email, depending. I can't get anything out right in person. And, when I want to say something to myself and have myself understand it, I write it down. I can't just think through it.

I'm working on the talking thing, I really am. But I have a terrible time forming coherent sentences, and then I sort of mumble everything. I talk in the back of my throat. It's awful. I can't imagine how people can stand talking to me. My mom's always getting after me to enunciate more.

I wonder a lot what people think when they meet me. In writing I sound perfectly capable of thinking. In person, not so much. I've been thinking that I should take some public speaking classes to fix how I talk, and also work on being more confident about talking. I guess it doesn't help that I don't like my voice. But speaking more clearly and bringing my voice forward would probably fix most of what I don't like about it. Hmm, worth a shot...

I think I sound kind of matter-of-fact when I write. I suppose that might not be too far off from my personality, though.

1 comment:

GnachSanoj said...

I think I'd sometimes speak the way I write. Sometimes.